Full name: Value-based healthcare for Inflammatory Bowel Disease
Collaborating institutions: OSI Ezkerraldea-Enkarterri Cruces and OSI Barrualde-Galdakao (Osakidetza).
Timeframe: September 2020 – February 2022
The need for continuous improvement of health outcomes and higher efficiency has led health organisations to show a growing interest in providing value-based healthcare.
The International Consortium for Health Outcomes Measurement (ICHOM) has drafted and published standards that seek to consolidate minimum health outcome values to evaluate certain diseases. Such standards include: clinical and administrative variables, and patient-reported outcome measures (PROMs). In 2018, ICHOM established the standards to assess the health outcomes for inflammatory bowel disease (IBD).
This initiative seeks to help include in the hospital’s clinical practice the systematic measurement of health outcome values in IBD patients.
Objective: Benchmarking of health outcomes to improve care of patients with inflammatory bowel disease.
- Integrate the measurement of health outcomes based on the standard set drafted by ICHOM in routine clinical practice, systematically and extended over time.
- Include patient-reported outcome measures (PROMs) in regular clinical practice.
- Facilitate clinical monitoring and individualised decision-making.
- Analyse the effectiveness of an intervention based on measuring health outcomes to improve patient empowerment and professional-patient communication.
- Identify factors influencing the implementation process.
- Create a nation-wide Hospital Community pioneering in the assessment of health outcomes related to inflammatory bowel disease including the patient’s perspective.
- Share the best practices among different organisations, creating learning opportunities.
Study design: Prospective observational study of cohorts based on technical specifications set out in the ICHOM standard for IBD. The results will be analysed in four groups:
- Disease control and survival
- Symptoms, functional capacity, and quality of life
- Use of resources
- Analyse the effectiveness of an intervention based on measuring outcome values for patients in order to improve patient empowerment, shared decision-making, and physician-patient communication.
- Integrate the measurement of value-based health outcomes in daily clinical practice for organisations both systematically and extended over term.
Rol: Kronikgune Institute will coordinate and manage the domestic Hospital Community and institutions that conform the project. It will provide methodological and scientific support for the implementation of the project: mapping of the implemented healthcare pathways; analysis of deficiencies; data collection process; and improvements of the healthcare pathway based on results. It will also participate by supporting the Cruces and Galdakao University Hospitals.
- Sponsorship: VIFOR Pharma
- Kronikgune Institute for Health Services Research
- IQVIA Healthcare
- GETECCU – Spanish Working Group on Crohn’s Disease and Ulcerative Colitis
- Nation-wide health organisations:
- Complejo Asistencial Universitario de León (Castilla y León)
- Hospital Universitario Río Hortega (Castilla y León)
- Consorci Corporació Sanitària Parc Taulí (Cataluña)
- Hospital Universitari Mútua Terrassa (Cataluña)
- Osakidetza- OSI Barrualde Galdakao (Euskadi)
- Osakidetza- OSI Ezkerraldea Enkarterri Cruces (Euskadi)
- Hospital General Universitario Gregorio Marañón (Madrid)
- Hospital Universitario 12 de Octubre (Madrid)
- Hospital Universitario de Fuenlabrada (Madrid)
- Hospital Universitario Fundación Alcorcón (Madrid)
- Hospital Universitario La Paz (Madrid)
- Hospital Universitario La Fe (Valencia)