FULL NAME: Prevention Strategies for adolescents at Risk of diabetes – A pilot study across 5 European countries.
CALL FOR TENDER: Call for tender n° SANCO/2013/C1/004.
PROJECT START AND FINISH DATES: 01 June 2014 to 01 July 2016.
- Phase 1: proposal of a tool for identifying the risk factors associated with the onset of DMT2 in the adolescent population (12-14 years).
The tool will be proposed by applying two combined methodologies: a systematic literature review, which will allow the risk factors for DMT2 in adolescents to be identified, and application of the DELPHI discussion, consensus and weighting technique by a panel of experts.
- Phase 2: Development and evaluation of life-style modification programmes aimed at adolescents aged 12 to 14 years to decrease the risk factors for developing type 2 diabetes.
PROJECT AIMS: The PRE-START study has a twin objective. Firstly, it aims to propose a tool for identifying adolescents (12-14 years) with risk factors associated with the onset of DMT2. Secondly, it aims to evaluate the effectiveness of two health-promotion programmes, one aimed at an adolescent population with risk factors associated with the onset of DMT2 and the other in a school setting involving adolescents aged 12-14 years, their parents and their teachers.
RESULTS HOPED TO BE OBTAINED:
- Development of a tool for identifying adolescents with risk factors for type 2 diabetes.
- Improving practices for the prevention of DMII in children aged 12-14 years at a local level.
- Implementing intervention strategies that allow: To improve our understanding of metabolic health and the possible risks of chronic diseases.
- To raise awareness of the importance of physical activity and decrease the amount of physical inactivity.
- To improve nutrition with a healthy diet in children, parents and teachers (benefits of the consumption of vegetables, fibre, etc.).
ROLE OF THE BASQUE COUNTRY:
- ROLE OF KRONIKGUNE: Responsible for coordinating and managing the project in the Basque Country. Kronikgune will work together with Osakidetza and the Regional Delegation for Public Health and Addictions of Gipuzkoa to define the intervention and develop and design the materials that will be used in it.
- ROLE OF OSAKIDETZA: Osakidetza participates in both the development of the tool for identifying the risk factors associated with the onset of DMT2 and in the design and evaluation of the interventions for promoting health life-styles. The design and evaluation of the interventions will be conducted in collaboration with the Regional Delegation for Public Health and Addictions of Gipuzkoa. Osakidetza will be responsible for rolling-out the intervention programme for adolescents with risk factors for the possible onset of DMT2, which will be a group intervention based on cognitive behavioural techniques that will cover aspects related to a healthy life-style and will be based mainly on three basic pillars, namely diet, physical activity and emotional health.
- Coordination: Sara Ponce Márquez; Olatz Albaina Bacaicoa; Irati Erreguerena Redondo; Joana Mora Amengual (Till October 2015); Ane Fullaondo Zabala; Esteban de Manuel Keenoy.
- Principal: Itziar Vergara (IP); Garbiñe Aizpuru; Elena Alustiza; Visitación de Castro; Maribel Larrañaga; Irene Ozcoidi; Amaia Perales.
- Collaboration: Iñaki Intxausti; Iñaki Iturrioz; Mikel Jauregui Abasolo; Miren Bittori Lasa Goñi; Iciar Pérez Irazusta; Pedro Roa Baroja: Pilar Valenciano; Raúl Casales; María Aranzazu Uranga Fraiz.
OSAKIDETZA SITES INVOLVED:
- OSI Bidasoa
- OSI Tolosaldea
- OSI Gipuzkoa